It is currently April 16th, 2014, 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Arena v. NIC
PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 2:45 pm 
4 Gold Stars
4 Gold Stars

The Doctor wrote:
Sponsored by the BOA? - Britain isn't even in the Olympics for Hockey.

Indeed its not.

You do know there are other ice sports in the Winter Olympics though right? Ice sports that GB is rather more successful at, most notably (though not inclusively) with regards to an ice sport competed in by a certain couple from Nottingham, whose tireless campaigning directed at the BOA saw funding being put into a twin-pad facility in their home city. Proviso for said funding was the naming of the facility 'The National Ice Centre' and one pad being set aside solely for ice sports (the 'Olympic Pad').

Yes, I've no doubt that Sheffield could host the play offs no problem and I'd quite like to see it, but the 'National' bit in the NIC is more than just a name, its a funding decision.

kivo1889 wrote:
Enterprising travel agents could lay on charter flights.

Whilst this isn't a complete pipe dream it would require some organising.

Often organisations representing sports supporters (for example the England RFC Supporters Club) act as a focal point, arranging travel etc. For the England/Ireland Six Nations game they arranged a flight, two nights accommodation and ticket package which worked out at £469 per person. Obviously the advantage that the ERSC have is that, being the body representing a national team, they have a bit more clout and familiarity-driven respectability in the airline industry than say, the supporters club of a team in a minor sport league.

As they say though, "money talks". So assuming that say the NPSC or SSSC can get in the money well ahead of time (no given thing considering that some people won't buy tickets for the PO's on the mainland until they believe they are going) in order to secure a charter (the earlier its booked, the cheaper it'll be) current prices for the charter of a 737/A320 sized aircraft (180ish seats) for the short hop, such as Robin Hood or East Midlands Airport to Belfast, is approximately £50k return, or about £277 each. This price though is hugely variable based on cost of fuel at time of booking, time of year (prices rise after March) and a whole host of other considerations that affect aircraft handling. Its not impossible but it'd take some organisation and I'm afraid this, history has told us, isn't a strong point for the EIHL.

"What happened to the signing of the season that turned us down and signed for you ? The so called mr.ling , mmmmnn I'm sure someone said he is lazy and doesn't work and guess what we where right." (You know who you are....)

Last edited by Howeaboutthat on March 1st, 2013, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 2:54 pm 
3.5 Gold Stars
3.5 Gold Stars

The odyssey in Belfast is also central. And next to their city airport and ferry terminals.

They're very big on pubs there to...

Sent from my gizmo using sparks.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 4:22 pm 
3.5 Gold Stars
3.5 Gold Stars

Whilst not wanting to have a downer on other "ice sports" the National Ice Skating Association based out of Nottingham doesn't see its self connected to Hockey at all - only figure skating and the short track version of speed skating.

Figure skating is far away from anything Hockey that they cannot be classed as even connected. I find figure skates / dances during period breaks rather awkward - it's as if they were showing ballroom dancing as half time entertainment at football or rugby (and being deluded that the crowd liked it). I doubt whether they'd welcome a good Hockey fight in the intervals at the ice dance championships.

I have seen small rink speed skating at Sheffield - that was quite exciting.

Britain has been very successful at curling (another ice sport) but the NIC doesn't do it anywhere near as good as even the little Scottish rinks. So the Scottish curlers might suggest one of their rinks the NATIONAL ice centre. Type the words "Curling Nottingham" into Google, you get a hair salon !

Nottingham is a great venue - but others are too.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 4:52 pm 
4 Gold Stars
4 Gold Stars

The Doctor wrote:
Whilst not wanting to have a downer on other "ice sports" the National Ice Skating Association based out of Nottingham doesn't see its self connected to Hockey at all - only figure skating and the short track version of speed skating.

Figure skating is far away from anything Hockey that they cannot be classed as even connected.

That is not the point at all. Lets go back and review the conversation.

Crooked Spire said,

Crooked Spire wrote:
Also it is the NATIONAL Ice Centre, seems appropriate that it should host the biggest weekend of the year.

to which rnewbolt1 respond,

rnewbolt1 wrote:
NATIONAL in name only 'crooked spire':)

to which I replied, based on the facts I state,

Howeaboutthat wrote:
Nope. Its actually funded as the National Ice Centre by both BOA and National Lottery grants.

to which you interject,

The Doctor wrote:
What's this nonsense about NATIONAL ice centre. A name means nothing.
Sponsored by the BOA? - Britain isn't even in the Olympics for Hockey.

The fact GB doesn't play ice hockey in the Winter Olympics has absolutely no bearing on the funding bestowed by the British Olympic Association to assist in the funding of the National Ice Centre and never has. The funding was provided solely off the back of figure and speed skaters. Whether the National Ice Skating Association sees itself 'connected' to hockey at all or not is a moot point too.

Funding was provided by the BOA (and National Lottery) for the establishment of a National Ice Centre in Nottingham (home of Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean, two of the UK's most successful ice sports participants). This money was provided on the proviso that at least one pad be dedicated to the furtherment of 'ice sports' at all times (the 'Olympic Pad') and that the facility be named the National Ice Centre.

Google searching for 'Curling Nottingham', the fact you find small rink speed skating exciting, your dislike for figure skating etc etc matter little. Funding WAS provided for the establishment of a National Ice Centre in Nottingham and that is why it is so called. Its not just a name, it is the funded National Ice Centre.

As for other venues being great, I agree. If the £4m being spent on the Motorpoint Arena includes new seats that are suitable for non-Hobbits alongside the replacement of the god awful plexi then it will be a good venue too and one that I'd be happy to see the PO weekend move to. A steeper pitch of seating, putting fans closer to the ice and improving the acoustics, would make it a fantastic venue but unfortunately I don't believe this is an option.

Believe it or not many of us Nottingham fans enjoy our away trips, indeed for many of us we prefer being on the road because the knitters and crossword puzzle doodlers who sit among us and whinge if anyone makes too much noise don't seem to travel and hence the vibe among us as a group is better.

"What happened to the signing of the season that turned us down and signed for you ? The so called mr.ling , mmmmnn I'm sure someone said he is lazy and doesn't work and guess what we where right." (You know who you are....)

PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 7:32 pm 
Banned
Banned

Howeaboutthat wrote:

As they say though, "money talks". So assuming that say the NPSC or SSSC can get in the money well ahead of time (no given thing considering that some people won't buy tickets for the PO's on the mainland until they believe they are going)

Just so yer know...we aren't 'the mainland' :ugeek:

Beagán agus a rá go maith - Say little but say it well

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 8:35 pm 
for me the play-off weekend has lost its spark it was better when we mixed the venues up a bit, I know we can't use the MEN or London but Sheffield, Notts poss Belfast could hold it or what about the old venue Wembley which kills any home advantage arguments?